Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 21, 2010

Heart of the Matter - Book Review

“Giffin’s talent lies in making her characters believable and relatable, and readers will be enthralled by this layered, absorbing novel.”

Booklist (“Starred Review”)



Emily Giffin has written four great, dramatic books before 2010. These include Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, and Love the One You're With. Each set of characters in each book has such characteristics that make them easy to relate to, whether you're a mother, in love with someone else as opposed to your current partner, married, a young woman, or an older married woman. Now I wouldn't refer any of these books to men, rather, I think she targets a more women based fans.


[Don't mind my face and hair - the weather was horribly humid and rainy]


Recently, she published her new book, Heart of the Matter. This unfortunately, wasn't my favorite book out of all the books she's written, but it was a good read. 


About the book according to Emily's website:




"Tessa Russo is the mother of two young children and the wife of a renowned pediatric surgeon. Despite her mother’s warnings, Tessa has recently given up her career to focus on her family and the pursuit of domestic happiness. From the outside, she seems destined to live a charmed life.

Valerie Anderson is an attorney and single mother to six-year-old Charlie---a boy who has never known his father. After too many disappointments, she has given up on romance---and even, to some degree, friendships---believing that it is always safer not to expect too much.

Although both women live in the same Boston suburb, the two have relatively little in common aside from a fierce love for their children. But one night, a tragic accident causes their lives to converge in ways no one could have imagined.

In alternating, pitch-perfect points of view, Emily Giffin creates a moving, luminous story of good people caught in untenable circumstances. Each being tested in ways they never thought possible. Each questioning everything they once believed. And each ultimately discovering what truly matters most."

According to me:

I enjoyed the way that Emily Giffin alternated points of view in each chapter, moving from Tessa's view to Valerie's. However this caused me to easily pick sides, namely Tessa. Giffin has such a way with words that I didn't want to put the book down. Although the beginning is quite predictable, the ending has such a change of events making it extremely unexpected. I also love how she connected the story through the relation of characters in her first books, Something Borrowed and Something Blue. 

I'm actually making my mom read her books beginning with Something Borrowed, therefore, she can fully understand the book Heart of the Matter. 

The Book Signing:


I actually had the opportunity to meet Emily Giffin and have her sign my copy of Heart of the Matter. I was beyond words when I met her and couldn't come up with anything to say except "how are you." I didn't get a chance to tell her that I love her books and that I look up to her as a writer. I just figured I'm sure she hears it all the time and doesn't need to hear it from one more fan. Unfortunately I regret it, but take it as a lesson to let people, no matter how famous they may be, know how I feel. 


Anyways she was so sweet anyways, even after signing books for an hour and a half. My boyfriend came with me and we had been waiting online at the book store in NYC, without moving for a good 45 minutes. We were even told she would be leaving at 9 no matter what, even if she didn't sign everyone's books. Luckily, she was sweet enough to sign everyone's. She even thanked us for waiting and apologized for the long line. Boy, she was sweet! :] I'm so happy I got the chance to meet her, and look forward to her future books. 

I would refer this book to anyone looking for a page turning read, about marriage, being a wife, a mom - whether you're a stay at home mom or a working mom - and a woman, in general. 

Visit her website here to find out more about her or any of her other books: Emily Giffin



No comments:

Post a Comment