CLGNY Conference
Monday, October 8th, 2010, I took a train with a couple of girls to NY. At 6:00 in the morning, the sky was still dark and there was a chill in the air. The train took us to Penn Station; we then needed to get on a subway for a couple of blocks until we reached NYU. Although my friend and I separated from the rest of the girls, because no one knew where they were going, we ended up getting to the Kimmel Center with a few minutes to spare. Signing in, I couldn't wait to get upstairs to enhance my knowledge about Child Life Specialists. Changing my major to Family & Child Studies with a concentration in Child Life Specialist was probably the best thing I've done in my college career. I am so intrigued with this profession. Not only do I get to make children smile, but I also get to make their hospital visit a little less traumatic, with the help of play :]
Once we took our seats at the table, breakfast was served. After going up for seconds, because the muffins were delicious, I wanted to walk around to each of the tables set up by different organizations. I asked my one friend to come with me, but she did not want to be bothered. I decided that I was going to make the best out of this day. I mean I was already up and I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, even though I was extremely tired, so why not? I was there to learn, not to sit and watch everyone else absorb all the information.
Afterwards, the guest speakers began. The first one discussed play and how important it is for ALL children to be a part of, especially when they're in the hospital. It helps them develop and grow. You better believe that I wrote down as much notes as possible.
We then had to separate based on the sessions we chose when we registered. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it... I didn't exactly choose the right way, but it's way too confusing to explain. There were several sessions, and I attended two. One was about other jobs one can get with a child life specialist certification and skills, while the other was a seminar on True Colors.
They were both extremely interesting and I learned a good amount of information that I can take with me as I search for jobs, and become employed in the future.
We were then dismissed, but not before we received our certificate of attendance, and I snapped a few pictures of course, because even though it was raining, the view was beautiful. I love the city in the winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment