Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, July 9, 2011

P.S I Love You: Book Review

I finished yet another book, and I wasn't as satisfied with this one as I was with my past reads. Now when I picked up the book P.S I Love You I thought it would be absolutely heart-wrenching, just like the movie. However, I was proven wrong... it was NOT AT ALL like the movie. The movie where I cried like a baby because of the death of Gerry, and where I didn't see the end coming at all! I couldn't believe how much they changed from the book, but I have to admit I liked the movie so much more.

Synopsis from Barnes & Noble:



A novel about holding on, letting go, and learning to love again.
Now in paperback, the endearing novel that captured readers' hearts and introduced a fresh new voice in women's fiction — Cecelia Ahern.
Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.
The kind of enchanting novel with cross-generational appeal that comes along once in a great while, PS, I Love You is a captivating love letter to the world!

My Review:
I have to admit, I was sincerely disappointed after reading P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahern. I was expecting the plot to be exactly as the movie had been... but it wasn't even close. From Gerry and Holly falling in love over the years, knowing each other since they were children, to Daniel owning his own bar, and Holly's parents still together. What really made me upset was the fact that Holly received all of the letters in one big envelope. In the movie she receives them in the mail, due to her mother. The story-line, I felt, was much more riveting and exciting in the movie. I did love the added detail and the emotional feelings of Holly, as well as those closest to her.. but I feel as if they didn't focus enough on the story of Gerry and Holly, and instead added stories of her brothers, her sister, and her friends. I mean try and read it, but try not comparing it to the movie if you've already seen it [if you haven't seen it you should!]. 

My Rating: 2 Stars

5 comments:

  1. Ohh, even the trailer for that movies makes me want to cry! Odd to hear that the movies is better though, usually its the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how most of Hollywood redoes their version of books- their own way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a sad movie!

    Yeah, I agree it usually is the other way around! Diana, you're right.. it was really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never seen this movie. i felt that all this hollywood movies are emotionless in relations and every adaptation of novels have made me disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the books are always better, except in this case

      Delete