Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 23, 2010

From heaven or the oven?

My parents are absolutely amazing. They always push my brother and I to do our best and always taught us to excel in what we're good at. Sure we've excelled in whatever we've put our minds to, whether it be school, sports, or a job. Lately though, I've been highly interested in making cupcakes. I've always been a baker, but I've never made anything besides a pumpkin cheesecake from scratch. Therefore, my daddy, so graciously bought me a Cupcake book. He loves to see me baking and enjoying what I'm doing; he also doesn't mind eating the final product ;] 


This book, by Pamela Clark, has a numerous amount of cupcake recipes, along with pictures of every cupcake, and some baker's tips in the back. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in trying new and delicious cupcakes. 


I've made two different kinds of cupcakes over the past few weeks: Cloud Cakes & Banana Caramel Cakes.





Cloud Cakes:
Strawberry Swirl Buttercake                      Fluffy Frosting                 Decorations
     6 tablespoons butter, softened                    1 cup sugar                   pink sugar
     1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract                      1/2 cup water
     1/2 cup sugar                                         2 egg whites
     2 eggs
     1 cup self-rising flour
     3 tablespoons milk
     3 tablespoons strawberry jam



Directions: 
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees & prepare 6-12 hole pan with paper baking cups
2. Beat butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour, and milk in a small bowl with mixer on low speed until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium, and beat until mixture turns a paler color.
3. Divide mixture in baking cups. Divide jam over tops of cakes & use skewer to swirl jam into cakes. 








4. Bake larger cakes for 30 minutes & smaller cakes for 20 minutes. Take out and let cool. 




5. Make Fluffy Frosting
     a. Combine Sugar and water in small pot; stir over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. 




     b. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. [should be thick but not colored]
     c. Remove from heat & let bubbles subside
     d. Beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form
     e. Add syrup in a thin stream, while mixing & beat for 10 minutes




6. Spread frosting on cupcakes & sprinkle with pink sugar. 





I couldn't get the frosting exactly how I wanted it, but hey it was my first time making cupcakes from scratch and everyone loved them, so that's all that matters. 

Thanks Daddy <3
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment