Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Special Friends Day 2011



Special Friends Day. A day when students volunteer at my college, in the recreation center, to be a child's,  friend for the day, participating in activities and games all day. These children are special, though they have a disability, it is necessary for them to be able to play and enjoy the same activities just like any other child would!

Last year, I participated in this amazing opportunity with my friend from another college, and we had such an eye opening experience, that we knew we needed to do it again this year. I must admit, this year was even even more intense, because our buddy couldn't speak her needs, like the buddy we had the year prior. She would repeat whatever she had heard last, and although she was extremely capable of physical motions and movements, her mental capacity was quite low.


What amazed me was the strength her father had, having two children who were disabled, though one more than the other. I can't imagine how I would handle the situation, but I know that I won't ever know unless I am put in that position. I give these parents and families more credit after volunteering for two years in a row, because it was stressful for me ... not knowing what she wanted, how to make her have the best day, or even when she needed to go to the bathroom.

I wish I could do it next year as well as years to come, but I am graduating in May, and therefore, won't be able to. I do hope that other individuals get involved though, because it's not only eye opening, but it's memorable. I will always remember my two buddies, and think of all they need to go through and battle against in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment