Synopsis from Barnes & Noble:
Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alientated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church.
The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels—first love, love between parents and children — that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.
My Review:
Having seen the movie prior, I envisioned the characters on the movie screen, in a way I probably wouldn't have if I didn't see it prior to reading the book. Analyzing them further, it seems as if Ronnie is just like every other rebellious girl her age, but I was never like that and couldn't imagine being mean and cold hearted to either of my parents if they divorced. Time is too short, in my opinion. As for her parents - I found myself wanting to know more about her father, who at the time was living in a quiet town in North Carolina. The mother, it seems, wasn't in the book too often. Ronnie's brother was absolutely adorable; I wanted him to be my brother! I honestly love that the book was told in all different perspectives, something that the movie doesn't quite do.
There were points, however, when I needed a break from the book since it was a lot of thoughts rather than dialogue between the characters, but then I'd pick the book right back up and continue.
I loved the connection that Ronnie and Will have, a boy that seems to understand Ronnie or at least want to learn how. It's incredible, to me, the way they are together and how they fit perfectly. But then again, what couple in Nicholas Sparks' books didn't you fall in love with? Aside from maybe Marcus and Blaze, my least favorite characters. I couldn't see how anyone would want to be friends with them, let alone like them. I mean talk about a sociopath and a vulnerable, confused girl! Their relationship is toxic, and at times I feel bad for how trapped Blaze feels and that in the end she was the one to get hurt. After reading into the book, one understands that Marcus nicknamed her 'Blaze' because he loves fire - also demonstrating foreshadowing.
The book takes several turns, taking your emotions on a roller-coaster. And at one point, Ronnie's dad reminded me of my own dad.
I honestly loved this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for an emotional read - one filled with a love story, Ronnie's love story and the kind of love that was always there and the kind that develops over time.
"For nothing is more fulfilling than love itself" (pg 350).
My Rating: 5 Stars









No comments:
Post a Comment