Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 8, 2012

Apple Picking in NY

I can't remember if I've ever been apple picking, maybe once or twice when I was little, but that's it. Ever since Sal and I have been going out, I've wanted to go with him, but every year we miss it - not realizing that we have to go in September to get the best apples.


This year, when Sal and I didn't have to go into work until later in the evening, we decided to pick a place and go! I was so excited that we were finally going to be picking apples together, something we'd never done together. Like I've said in previous posts, I love going on new and exciting adventures with Sal, doing things we've never done before. We headed to NY bright and early, and were the first ones at the orchard. I loved the views while we were driving, and loved them even more when we were picking our apples.


Even though it rained the night prior to, we weren't going to let a little water and mud stop us, and I'm glad we didn't because it ended up being beautiful out. We grabbed our bags, parked the car, and walked the orchard for over two hours looking for the best apples, and sneaking in some kisses under the trees.


We enjoyed an apple or two as we walked on the paths, talking and just enjoying the time together. Sal has always taught me that while we don't get to spend a lot of time together, it's the quality of the time, not the quantity of time, that really matters. I was never one to understand it; I always thought more was better, but quite recently I am more aware that it's better to enjoy the two hours we spend together, than spend the two hours complaining that we don't see each other as much as I'd like. I swear, if I could see this man every day I would - he's just that great.  


While the bags got heavier, my arms got weak, and Sal ended up carrying both bags down back to the car (because as you can tell - he's just THAT strong). We had two big bags full, and our stomachs were growling, so we headed into town to grab some lunch. Sal knew of this great deli, so after we found it (yes, we may have passed it without even knowing it) and ordered our lunch, I suggested that we find a lake (since there are so many of them) or a park, and eat lunch with a great view. We didn't end up finding a natural lake, but we did find a man-made lake - who would've thought when you're looking for something you can't find it, and when you're not, it's right there. We unpacked our lunch and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon, before we headed back to the real world, and off to work. 


1 comment:

  1. my favorite fall activity! hope you made a yummy crisp or pie ;)

    ReplyDelete