Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Christmas Eve Passes Quickly

Every year my family has Christmas Eve at our house with family and friends. It's something to look forward to, especially when December 1st comes around. Instead of ordering from some big restaurant, my mom decided to order from someone she knew who cooked out of her home for just such occasions! I thought it was great that she was helping out a small business owner, as opposed to a bigger business. The food was even better than we expected too, from the sausage and peppers and chicken to the homemade cookies and fresh bread!


The whole day my father, brother, and I prepared for the night, while my mom was getting in her hours at work. We made sure the house was spotless, decorated perfectly, and laid out the tables and tables of food. That day I made a few desserts [snowman donuts, candy cane lane cupcakes, and gingerbread bundts], you can find the recipes on my baking blog - here. I got changed, but not before I saw what my brother was wearing - a green sweater, with a white button down shirt underneath and grey pants - so I decided that this Christmas, we should match. Yes, I realize I'm 23 and he's 20, but I still thought it'd be hysterical when I came out of my room and stood next to him. I didn't match exactly, instead I went with a red sweater, a white button down shirt underneath, and black pants. Even though my brother wanted me to change, begged me actually, it became a joke by the end of the night... maybe I was the only one laughing, but still.


When Sal arrived, he gave me a gift - not just any gift, but an Anniversary, Birthday, Christmas gift! This year, since all of those special occasions are within a week of each other, we decided to combine them and go on a trip, instead of giving each other presents. While I still insisted on buying Sal a gift - a much necessary winter jacket, I didn't mind not receiving anything. I've always loved giving more than receiving. It made me smile though when Sal walked in with one single rose, and a packet of paper. I quickly took the packet, but not before giving him a huge hug. He booked a trip for us to go to ...


NIAGARA FALLS! I couldn't believe it; we both had never been there before, nor had we ever gone to Canada, so we're both super excited about it! We leave this weekend for a three-day mini vacation.


Family and friends started to arrive soon after, and after eating all of the food, laughing at all of the jokes between cousins, and just soaking the night in, the night was over before I had even realized it. I'm grateful for nights that I get to spend with those I love, but they seem to go too fast. We always try and take as many pictures as we can in front of our Christmas tree, because some of the people we see on Christmas Eve, we barely see throughout the year, and it's nice to look back on those pictures. My mom got a little crazy this year with the camera though, and I feel like all we did was take pictures, but I know one day I'll cherish them and thank her for having captured those memories.


We went to bed, and eventually my brother and I woke up to the sounds of my mom screaming that Santa came... again we're 23 and 20 and yet we were still laughing at the way she woke us up, because who knows - next year we may not be there - I might be in a place of my own, and my brother might be away for college. Even though my brother and I complained about having to wake up early, I secretly didn't mind it. We let Maddie, our golden retriever, open her presents first. Every year I buy her presents, wrap them, and stick them in her stocking, and it never gets old watching her tear through the wrapping paper to the toys and treats. Then we open our gifts from Santa, and eventually my brother and I give our parents their presents. Time ticks by slowly in the morning, it's like Christmas Eve rushes by so we can enjoy the quite moments the following day - just spending time together as a family, opening gifts of love and eating our breakfast, which is always the same - eggs, bacon, toast... and I wouldn't trade that small amount of time for anything.


We eventually head to our Aunts, and the separate for the night, which is why I'm glad that we have the morning together - always.

No comments:

Post a Comment