Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Turning 23.

If you asked me how old I am, I might still tell you 22. Turning 23 hasn't felt much different, although I feel as if an internal clock has started... I've graduated with my BA and became a Certified Child Life Specialist, and yet I'm still looking for a full-time career, figuring out how to budget my money better so I can plan to move out soon, and eventually start a family of my own. A year, it seems, has made all of the difference. At 22, I definitely didn't feel as if I was an adult, seeing that I was still in college and all, but now that I'm 23, I know I am an adult. I'm not sure why that number stands out to me as being an adult, but it just does. That's why I plan on making this year one to remember, one in which I achieve more goals than I set out for myself, but why don't I tell you about my 23rd birthday weekend (yes you heard that right, weekend).

My friend turned 24 on the 21st, so we went out for her birthday that night at a local bar, and then the night after, on the 22nd, we planned on going to a Santa Pub Crawl for my 23rd birthday! Let me just tell you that it was not smart of me to drink the night before my birthday, because I ended up in bed the next day until I was forced out.


A few of my friends were able to come to celebrate at the local bar, which I was happy about because they weren't going to be able to make it the following night. It was great catching up with everyone, laughing, and celebrating. As much as I don't want to admit it, I don't really spend much time with friends (but I'm working on changing that). I swear I'm not as antisocial as I might seem. When I'm out, I'm very social with my friends and I end up having a great time... it's getting me out that's the problem. I wasn't going to let that stop me this weekend though. We spent the entire night at the bar, something I definitely regretted in the morning. I couldn't even enjoy my taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel - a NJ delicacy... yet eventually I ate it, lying on the couch, curled up in a ball.


I tried to nap, but it was nearly impossible because I just kept thinking about having to go out again, for my actual birthday. I felt bad for not spending any time with my family for my birthday, but I realized I needed to spend some time with my friends instead - again, I was really feeling like an adult with this added year on to my life. I got ready in my best Santa outfit. Okay, I didn't really dress up like Santa, but I got a holiday looking dress, a Santa hat, and Santa gloves! I'd say I looked pretty great, but not compared to Sal who decided to wear a Santa suit, along with one of my friends. I thought it was hysterical, and I could not have been more happy that he was in the holiday spirit, just for my birthday! He even had a reindeer, for a few minutes anyways.


Before we went off to the Santa Pub Crawl, we stopped at a friend's house because he said he needed to see us ASAP. We were worried, and thought he had bad news for us, but it was exactly the opposite! Our friend, who we haven't seen in a year because he's in the air force stationed in another state across the country, came home for my birthday!!! Okay, he really came home for Christmas, but still... I couldn't have been more surprised. He had us all thinking that he was going to be traveling for the air force and that he wasn't going to be able to come home. I was upset, so when I saw him sitting there at my friend's dining room table, I was more than happy - I was ecstatic! Unfortunately we had to leave a few minutes later, but we told him that we'd see him later. 


We headed to the bars to start our pub crawl. It was my first one, and probably my last. I get the hype about it, but I just don't think it's for me. The drink specials weren't all that great and being squished in a bar with hundreds of Santas isn't the most exciting thing in the world. We crawled to about three bars, before calling it a night and heading to a bar back in town, where we met up with our friends, including the one that had surprised us! It was the perfect way to end my birthday, and I was lucky enough to see all of my true friends. I couldn't have had a better birthday if I tried and I'm glad I got to experience new things with the people I love. 


Here's to another incredible year, filled with laughter, love, and happiness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment