Synopsis from Barnes & Noble:
Everyone has secrets. Some we keep to protect ourselves, others to protect those we love.
A devoted city dweller, Cornelia Brown surprised herself when she was gripped by the sudden desire to head for an idyllic suburb. Though she knows she's made the right move, she approaches her new life with trepidation and struggles to forge friendships. Cornelia's mettle is quickly tested by judgmental neighbor Piper Truitt, the embodiment of everything Cornelia feared she would find in suburbia. A saving grace soon appears in the form of Lake, and Cornelia develops an instant bond with this warm yet elusive woman.
As their individual stories unfold, the women become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined, and that ultimately teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another.
My Review:
The title of the book is mentioned throughout the book, roughly six times; leading the reader to fully understand the title in all of its glory.
I immediately fell in love with the characters all over again, and began to get to know new ones as well. From Cornelia and Teo to Piper and Kyle, and even Dev and his mom, Lake. The book is written in a way that shows different perspectives - Cornelia's, Piper's, and Dev's. It was incredible how I went from hating a character such as Piper to loving her by the end of the book. I think Marisa De Los Santos has a way of doing that with most of her characters, which I thoroughly enjoyed! Being that Clare is no longer a main character, we see little of her aside from her encounters with Dev, when she comes to visit Cornelia and Teo. Their relationship, as 13 year olds, is quite extraordinary. It is extremely easy for them to talk, because in Dev's word, Clare is like "truth serum." It is obvious that their relationship turns into something more than friendship.
This time the author focused less on movies like she had in the first novel, and more on the characters and their story - more on the reality of the situation. I thought that was great, but yet again, I still had trouble getting through the first chapter.
The book touches on every type of topic from cancer and 9/11 to miscarriages and young love. I'm telling you there is something in this book for everyone, and I feel as though every one can relate. It left me with thoughts, "I've been in her shoes before" or "I know exactly how he feels." Everyone has problems of their own, but that doesn't make them any smaller or without worth. In one instance, Cornelia discusses life changing events and how a miscarriage could be so minimal in comparison to the 9/11 events.
The love between Teo and Cornelia continues in this book, and it makes my heart ache. I feel as if reading about their love is like eavesdropping or peeking in and looking at something sacred.
There is an unbelievable turning point in the book, that I feel like I knew all along, but of course I won't spoil that for anyone. It's towards the end though, so even if you are having trouble reading the book, keep reading! De Los Santos throws her readers a curve ball!
So read it, and keep reading... it's a book you're sure to fall in love with.
"There is a limit. There is a limit to what can be taken away" (pg 84).
My Rating: 5 Stars









No comments:
Post a Comment