Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Make-A-Wish Walk for Wishes 2012


A few weeks ago I volunteered for the Make-A-Wish Walk for Wishes, a nation-wide fundraising event (though mine was specifically in NJ), in which proceeds support the Make-A-Wish wish granting mission so that every medically-eligible child in NJ can experience the magic of having a dream come true. The walk/5K was at Liberty State Park in Jersey City and the day could not have been any more beautiful, even though it was super cold.


They asked if any of the volunteers could bring family members to help, so I recruited my mom and brother; however, when that day came it was only my mom and I who headed to the park, because my brother was sick. We bundled up and when we arrived, we were immediately given our jobs - I was in charge of signing people in to the walk and my mom was in charge of handing out shirts. It was packed, and I couldn't believe the turnout. Eventually we were told to go down the path of the 5K run & walk to help guide people along, as well as separate the runners and the walkers so that no one was running into each other. When the runners were on their way back, I was clapping and encouraging them with motivating words. The most inspirational, memorable quote I heard that day was from a group of young girls running together and one girl goes to her friends, "come on girls, think of the kids." It just amazes me how some young individuals care so much. I get the chills any time I think of that, and it will definitely push me when I run in my 5K. It should push all of you to do your best everyday, because you can.


It was one morning out of our busy days that we took to help others. The North Jersey Walk/5K raised over $53,795! After the run and walk were over they handed out awards and played tons of music, while everyone refueled with water. If I hadn't volunteered, I would have definitely signed up for the 5K myself because not only am I training for one now, but I would've been able to help raise money for Make-A-Wish, an organization that I hold close to my heart.


Afterwards, my mom and I grabbed lunch, but not before taking in the scenery and the incredible views. We even had the chance to see the Empty Sky New Jersey September 11th Memorial, which was absolutely breathtaking.


We then decided to go to a wine-tasting, and eventually dinner with my brother. The day was perfect. We were able to help others, and spend time together. I will definitely be taking part in this incredible fundraising event next year.

[via instagram: kristynnicole1]

2 comments: