Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend in Vermont

Six AM, Saturday morning, Sal and I packed up the car and began our six hour drive to Vermont. We had a cooler full of water, fruit, and ZICO, and a bag full of healthy snacks! About halfway there, we decided to stop for breakfast at a diner we found. While Sal ordered an egg white omelet with turkey and mozzarella, I ordered mine with spinach and mozzarella. They were seriously two of the best omelets we've ever had! Before we knew it, we were on the road again.

We planned on getting to Stowe, VT, early, before check-in, so we could explore the town. Sal was there before when he used to Snowboard, so he knew one place we just HAD to check out. Immediately when he mentioned that we were going for a gondola ride, I figured we'd be in a boat, nope... wrong! We were going to ride in gondolas up Mt. Mansfield - 3,660 feet up! I was extremely nervous, because that seemed quite high, but I'm so glad I grabbed Sal's hand and hopped into the gondola, because the views were incredibly breathtaking!


Sal and I even talked about how it would be a great place to get engaged, but this isn't an engagement post, not yet at least.


When we got to what we thought was the top, we found a path that lead you to the real top of the mountain - all 4,395 feet of it. Even though I had flip flops on (not knowing we were going to be hiking) Sal and I climber and climber, and got to where the tops of the trees were! The views were even more amazing, and you could just smell the pine needles in the air. When we got enough comments from everyone about my flip flops, we decided we wouldn't go any higher, but Sal's hand never left - he was always there waiting for me when I climbed back down, even though I didn't need it to aid me in the descent, it was nice to know that it was there.

While climbing, we met a man that told us about another hiking path down the mountain, near where we were staying. He told us that there was a beautiful waterfall there, if we were able to find it! So we tried, and we failed at our first attempt. Sweating and hungry, we headed back to the Inn to check in and get settled. While we snacked on fruit and hummus, we took a walk around to see what our Inn had to offer, and ended up finding a gym.

Yes, we did end up working out. Yes, I know we were on vacation, but it felt so good to be working out together, helping each other get stronger, helping each other build confidence, along with muscle.


After getting ready, we headed to the pub downstairs and enjoyed an amazing dinner together, paired with a beer and a glass of wine. After dinner we relaxed on the swing outside, and eventually took a walk, or in my case a roll, to the lake down the hill. We were even able to play some outside games. When the stars began to appear, and the air became chilly, the bartender lit the bonfire, and even gave us some marshmallows to roast! It was the perfect ending to our day.


The following day, we woke up bright and early, and after having a healthy breakfast, we headed down the road to the bike rental shop, to rent bikes. There was a 5 mile path right behind the shop, so we decided to give it a try! I was way too excited, because Sal and I had never ridden bikes together. We saw spectacular views, and there wasn't one person who didn't smile or say hi to us. We biked right back to the shop - 10 miles total!



Afterwards, we headed back to the path down the road to hike, and we were determined to find the waterfall! Once we got about a mile into the forest, we found it! It was AMAZING! I swear, it just might've been our favorite part of the whole trip - hiking and finding an actual waterfall. If the water wasn't so cold, we would've jumped right in! After our hike, it was time for the wine tour and tasting!



Sal and I had never been on a wine tour/tasting before, so I was excited! It was interesting to learn about the vineyard, and how they make their own wine right on their farm. I loved trying the wines with Sal and eventually enjoying a glass with a delicious cheese plate. The sky was so blue, the clouds were so white, and there we were taking it all in while sipping on our wine. I didn't want to leave!


But, we planned on heading to go horseback riding, and good thing we left the vineyard when we did, because we were the last two of the day to get to go horseback riding! Sal loves it, so I was glad I was able to enjoy in the experience with him. While Sal had total control over his horse, Brock, though, mine, Bentley, decided to be extremely lazy. While the guide and Sal were riding along together, my horse was taking its sweet time, and I ended up several feet back. My horse even stopped walking when there was a muddy hill in front of him. It was hysterical, but the views were spectacular and I had never been horseback riding somewhere so beautiful.


When we got back to the inn, we headed to dinner, and came back to enjoy a game of scrabble and a bonfire. The following day we'd be leaving, but we explored the town a bit more and did some shopping before hitting the open road. We were even able to go to a glass-blowing shop, and watch two men create glass lamps.


I wouldn't have traded the weekend vacation for anything, and I'm glad that Sal and I were able to take off of work and just be together. I would definitely, without a doubt, go back, because, come on, who wouldn't enjoy an active, relaxing getaway with the love of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment