Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Deck of Lies- Justice: Book Review

I was contacted by Jade Varden, herself, the author of the Deck of Lies series, over the summer. I had never heard of her or her books prior to, but she told me that she had found a post I had made in the "Connecting Authors and Readers" thread on Goodreads - imagine that, connecting to actual authors! She asked me if I wanted to read and review a copy of her book, Deck of Lies: Justice, the first in a four-book Young Adult series. So I read over the summary she provided and was immediately hooked. After having read the first one, I needed to buy the next two (I mean at .99 cents each for the digital version, how could I go wrong?). I am currently waiting for the fourth one to come out!

Synopsis According to Jade Varden:

About Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)

A House of Cards…

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I’m ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they’re hiding. 

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can’t stop until I’ve discovered them all. I’ll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what’s underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 

I just hope I can survive the crash.


My Review:


I loved the development of the story line right from chapter one, which only made me want to read it more. It reminded me slightly of A Cinderella Story or even Mean Girls. Imagine your life changing one day, just because you go shopping with the queen bee of the school, in this case - Carsyn. One stupid prank and your life isn't what you thought it was. That's exactly what happened to Rain. She begins to discover every lie in her life, and she won't stop until she finds out the truth of every lie. It changes her world more than she ever thought it would, but it's too late to stop now. Lies upon lies are dug up over the course of this book... starting with a kidnapping. Rain soon discovers the truth about another kidnapping, a death, and so much more. It was sometimes unbelievable and unrealistic how much could happen to one person in their lifetime, and how many lies their truly were. I loved how Varden connected all of the characters though, in more ways than I could have ever imagined. Reading this book made me want to buy Deck of Lies- Tower, the second book, and I never buy books on my iPhone. 


I would recommend this book to any young adult because it's the perfect amount of high school drama for any adolescent. 


My Rating: 5 Stars


To purchase this book visit - Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment