Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Deck of Lies- Tower: Book Review

I finished reading all three of the Deck of Lies books rather quickly. It was as if I was like the main character, Rain, and I needed to uncover all of the lies, the lies that changed everyones lives forever. This book was filled with even more deception than the first one, Deck of Lies-Justice; Jade Varden drags her readers in again in the second book of the series.

Synopsis According to Barnes&Noble:

A Tower of Lies...

Death brings some families closer, but it’s ripped mine apart. I wanted to convince the police that they had the wrong suspect...but I never expected them to start suspecting me. Now, I have no choice but to keep searching for the truth, even if all my relationships fall to pieces around me. 

Someone is trying to make me look guilty. I never thought my mission to prove my own innocence would lead me to more family secrets. I thought I had already discovered the truth about myself. But every answer raises more questions, and everything I think I know is about to change...again. 

I have to find the truth, no matter how much it hurts -- before I get charged with murder.


My Review:
I read this book immediately after I finished the first one, and I hate to admit it, but I hated the repetition that occurred in the beginning. Again, I understand why this is done, in case someone has forgotten after a long period of time, to refreshen their memory, but it still bothers me that I have to read what had already happened in the book I read a few hours before. 

Rain is now being accused of murder, along with her friend River. In order to get River out of jail, she admits to having been with Laurel, the girl who was murdered, which places her at the scene of the crime, even though she was never there. I believed someone else had killed Laurel, but I was wrong in the end, it wasn't who I suspected, because there were even more lies that were found out. It honestly reminded me of the Housewives shows, but Secret Housewives instead. There were a world of secrets and they started to unravel when Rain travelled with Sawyer to the tower, from her "mother's" tarot cards in book one. It wasn't the kind of tower that Rain thought it was, but rather a mental institution that locked up even more secrets. 

Secret after secret is uncovered, and if I was Rain I'd be overloaded with information at this point, but she is determined to make herself find out everything and prove her innocence. As I flip page after page, I can't keep up with what's happening because there is way too much going on. Strangers are turning into family and family members are turning into strangers. Readers are able to discover the connections between each character in the book. However, it ends just as Rain finds out the killer and calls him/her out on it, one of her so called "siblings." Upon finishing this book, I was intrigued, and of course went out and bought the third one, because who could end a book without naming the killer!? Only a great author, with the intentions that you go out and buy the next book. 

The only flaw of this book was the editing; it needs a better editor next time. 

"When you step out of childhood, it's not because you finally reached some marked date on a calendar. It's because you can no longer look at the world with innocence and trust" (page 466). 

My Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment