Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 19, 2012

Good, no... GREAT news!

I'll be the first one to admit that my aspirations for my future have been all over the map these past few years. I want to be happy, but I also want to make a descent amount of money - I don't think that's too much to ask for. I started out going to school for Early Childhood Education - I had dreams since I was little of becoming a teacher, I even held class in my backyard for my neighborhood friends, and I would assign homework! Those dreams lasted until I got a job as a preschool teacher's aid. I found that I though I loved the children, I wasn't in love with the teaching aspect. I then changed my major to Child Life and haven't looked back since, although I have looked at additional certifications and graduate schools, everything from baby planning to nutrition coach, and nutritionist/registered dietician to personal training. I'm not sure where my future will take me, but as you can see I have a lot of options and plans.

Back in August, I had to apply to take the Child Life Certification Exam - about a week or two after I found out that I was able to sit for the exam. I had signed myself up for an online prep course, and studied as much as I could. I found the class extremely helpful because you were not only getting experience from two Certified Child Life Specialists, but you were also being given the study tips and relaxation tips necessary to pass the exam. We read the appropriate books that would help us pass, had weekly chats and assignments, and even took practice tests. I was fully prepared for the exam, though I was still nervous.


On November 7th, I headed into the city early after I had gotten in a workout and a healthy, filling breakfast. I arrived to the testing center much earlier than I had planned, but luckily for me they let me start my exam as soon as I got there because a nor'easter was coming and they wanted me to get back home as soon as possible. Yes, we had a nor'easter, a week or two after Sandy - lucky us, right? Not.

After I finished the exam, I didn't know what to think. I told the proctor I was finished and he printed out my results. Fortunately, I took the online test so I was able to see my test results right away, instead of having to wait 4-6 weeks for them. He handed me a paper facedown, and I thought that I had failed, without a doubt. I flipped the paper over and read the results...

I HAD PASSED! I AM AN OFFICIAL CERTIFIED CHILD LIFE SPECIALIST! 

He looked at me, chuckles, and says, "Congratulations, you looked like you were going to pass out!"

To which I replied, "You made it seem like I failed!"

He had done it on purpose of course; I guess that's the fun of being a proctor, at least when the individuals taking the tests pass.

I headed to the bus with the biggest smile on my face - not only had I passed, but it was snowing... and in the first few minutes that it begins to snow, the world is beautiful, as if it's slowing down. While on the bus I talked to my parents, as well as my brother and Sal - they were all excited, but knew I was going to pass. I was exhausted when I finally got home, but couldn't stop smiling. I had done it, I had reached my dream. Now all I needed to find was a job!


Instead I turned on the TV and watched a couple of episodes of Friends, while enjoying a healthy lunch and soon after a snack, as the snow fell outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment