It was still a memorable holiday, maybe even more than in the past because we were allowed to talk and get a chance to catch up with everyone... floating from room to room, floor to floor, we enjoyed the company and had PLENTY of leftovers, maybe even too many [we ended up throwing way too much spoiled food out].
I made desserts once again, Snowman Cupcakes & PB Cups and the recipes are on my baking blog - Kay's Sweet Obsessions
I have to say they definitely tasted good, but not many people tried them - which made me a little upset - but there were more for us to go around when everyone left! I would definitely make the PB cups again, because they're so tiny and people can just grab one and pop it in their mouth!
We decorated the house the week of Christmas Eve; my brother and I even picked out a tree for the family - to surprise my mom who had been working hard and hadn't had time to get a tree. The guy that cut our tree down thought we were getting our first tree... as a couple. We quickly turned that idea down saying, "don't we look alike!?"
While we helped decorate the rest of the house, my mom definitely did most of the work!
We did a shot of Sambuca for my poppy, because this was the first Christmas that we cannot call him in Florida and wish him a Merry Christmas. It was sad to think about, and we even skyped my Uncle, who lives in Florida, and we all ended up crying, but it was a nice to be able to cry in front of family, over the same thing. I felt that we had grown closer because of it, and had a bond - though we would much rather have our Poppy here with us, we know if he was there that night he would've been hitting us all and telling us to stop our crying! [he was a sarcastic old man, who couldn't express his love in words most of the time - but that's what made us love him more]. I miss my poppy and think about him almost every day. I hope he's up there looking down on us - watching over us - sending us love.
The night passed rather quickly, and before we knew it we were saying goodbye, and snapping pictures by the tree before they left.
[Cousins]
[Cousin]
[Sal & Mom]
There were many more pictures taken, and many more laughs had. We went to bed with smiles on our faces, and woke up to a tree that had several presents underneath. I received plenty of craft supplies, as well as books that will keep me busy for at least a couple of months. My parents loved their gifts from my brother and I, and my brother loved his gifts as well.
I think my favorite part about Christmas day, aside from the pigging out on leftovers and visiting Sal's family, was receiving a personal gift from my dad. He always just tags his name along on the gifts that my mom gives us, but this year he actually picked out a gift for each of us, by himself. A necklace for my mom, an emblem for my brother's car, and a gift certificate to get 5 car washes for me! This is a joke between the family because I think in the 5 or 6 years that I have had my truck, I have washed it a total of maybe 5 times. Pathetic I know, but I don't see the point in paying someone to wash the truck, doesn't the rain do that? [haha]
Anyways, this year was memorable for all of us, and a tradition I hope the family will keep, even if it's moved to my own house eventually... in a few years that is.
Remember it's not about what's under the tree, rather who is surrounding the tree.










Your cup cakes look absolutely fabulous! Seriously, I cannot believe that more people didn't try them!
ReplyDeleteMmm, cupcakes. I want one!
ReplyDeleteThank you guys! Hopefully next time more people will try them!
ReplyDelete