Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

New Moon: Book Review

I was entranced by New Moon by Stephenie Meyer, the second book in the Twilight Saga, and I was able to pick up on many foreshadowing events the second time around, than I had the first time I read it about 3 years ago. 

Synopsis According to Barnes&Noble:

For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of an evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may just be beginning....
Legions of readers entranced by the New York Times bestseller Twilight are hungry for more, and they won't be disappointed by this gripping sequel. In New Moon, Stephenie Meyer delivers another irresistible combination of romance and suspense with a supernatural twist. Passionate, riveting, and deeply moving, this vampire love saga is well on its way to literary immortality.

My Review:

Edward and Bella's relationship has grown to new levels, but I don't think any of Stephenie Meyer's readers believe that Edward could even leave Bella, even when he does. I thought it'd be back within the next chapter... little did I know. Before Edward left, leaving Bella with nothing but memories that would soon fade, having a human's mind and all, there was a good amount of foreshadowing. Meyer's let her readers know what was eventually coming. Not only does Edward tell Bella that he'd only stay with her if that's what was safest for her, but he also explains to Bella that he thought about suicide when she almost died, in Twilight, she asks how vampires could ever do that and his remark was simple - go to Italy and provoke the Volturi. The birthday party is when the safety of Bella became prominent, and that's when Edward decided enough was enough. 

When he leaves with his family, Bella is heartbroken, as are the readers... at least those on Team Edward! Though I was confused during the movies as to whose team I was on (because let's face it - Taylor Lautner is gorgeous), after I reread the books, it only confirmed that I'm Team Edward all the way. Although I love the friendship that blossoms between Bella and Jacob. 

The heartbreak reminds me of Ross and Rachel, yes I am referencing a couple from the television show FRIENDS. I cried during their breakups, even on reruns, knowing they were going to get back together in the end. Even though I knew that this wasn't the end of Bella and Edward, I still had tears building up in my eyes. 

More foreshadowing lets readers know that there is a connection between Bella hearing the sniffing of a dog while she's lying on the forest ground, and the rest of the story. Eventually Jacob can't see Bella anymore, and it brings Bella back into the depression that once held her when Edward left. Jacob was saying the same things that Edward had once said, but this time Jacob wants Bella to guess his secret, and refuses to leave her the way Edward had, no matter how dangerous. I found it interesting that Bella figures out both mysteries in her dreams; it's like her subconscious knew all along what Edward and Jacob really were. 

Bella learns that if she does stupid and reckless things, she can see Edward, hear his voice, and believe that he still cares. Meanwhile, Victoria is still after Bella for revenge. Eventually Bella pushes her reckless limits and before you know it, she's in Italy, running for her life... and Edward's. The way Meyer describes the last few chapters is truly incredible, and made me feel like I was in the story, looking back in the Volturi's blood thirsty eyes. 

"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars - points of light and reason... And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brillancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything" (page 514). 

My Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment