Synopsis According to Barnes & Noble:
What does it mean to be a good mother?
How far would you go in the name of love -- and justice?
Perfect Match
In the course of her everyday work, career-driven assistant district attorney Nina Frost prosecutes child molesters and works determinedly to ensure that a legal system with too many loopholes keeps these criminals behind bars. But when her own five-year-old son, Nathaniel, is traumatized by a sexual assault, Nina and her husband, Caleb, a quiet and methodical stone mason, are shattered, ripped apart by an enraging sense of helplessness in the face of a futile justice system that Nina knows all too well. In a heartbeat, Nina's absolute truths and convictions are turned upside down, and she hurtles toward a plan to exact her own justice for her son -- no matter the consequence, whatever the sacrifice.
My Review:
I've been hesitant to read Jodi Picoult because I've found that most of her books are quite similar, there's a case and it gets solved, but I decided to give her another try anyways. Upon reading the first page, I was reminded of the many episodes of Law & Order: SVU.
I fell in love with Nina Frost's character. She's a powerhouse that I wouldn't want to mess with, but would want on my side in a second! Her husband is more laid back, and after the sexual assault of their son, you wonder if his calm attitude is going to tear them apart. Nathaniel's thoughts are the worst and most emotional to me. While I connected with Nina Frost on some levels, I also connected with Nathaniel, wanting to jump in the book and help him in anyway I could, with comfort, words, or an open ear to listen.
While I don't want to give anything away, I knew that the person that Nathaniel expresses as his rapist, isn't the one that everyone thinks it is. Surprisingly, the turning point in the book isn't when Nathaniel is sexually assaulted, nor is it when he identifies the person who did it to him, it's what Nina does that is the most shocking. Picoult takes us through the motions that each character sees in the past and present. It really allows readers to connect with each, if not all, of the characters.
At this point, without any children, I'm not sure if I could have took justice into my own hands, like Nina, but I wonder if I should re-read this book when I do have children of my own, and see who I connect with then.
The ending was shocking to say the least, and I didn't expect it! I loved the story line, though, as well as the ending, and I wouldn't have changed a thing! I will definitely pick up another Jodi Picoult book, especially since she has a few new ones that just came out!
"'But I love you,' Caleb says, his voice breaking, because in a perfect world, this should be all the excuse one needs" (Page 340).
My Rating: 5 Stars








No comments:
Post a Comment