Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Little Earthquakes: Book Review

So I haven't had a book review in awhile, probably because life has been a little hectic with school. A couple of weeks ago I started reading Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner, and every time I picked the book up, I didn't want to stop reading. It's a 400 something page book, but it definitely felt shorter. 


 Synopsis according to Borders:
Jennifer Weiner's richest, wittiest, most true-to-life novel yet tells the story of three very different women as they navigate one of life's most wonderful and perilous transitions: the journay of new motherhood. Becky is a plump, sexy chef who has a wonderfull husband and baby girl, a restaurant that received a citywide acclaim -- and the mother-in-law from hell. Kelly is an event planner who's struggling to balance her work and motherhood while dealing with unemployed husband who seems content to channel-surf for eight hours a day. Ayinde's basketball superstar husband breaks her trust at her most vulnerable moment, putting their new family even more in the public eye. Then, there's Lia, a Philadelphia native who has left her Hollywood career behind, along with her husband, and a tragic secret to start her life all over again.From prenatal yoga to postbirth sex,Little Earthquakesis a frank, funny, fiercely perceptive take on the comedies and tragedies of love and marriage.



My Review:
This book was everything I had hoped for and more. I had never read any of Jennifer Weiner's books, but while in Florida I picked up two of them. I can honestly say this book is worth the read. Every chapter describes the perspectives of Becky, Kelly, Ayinde, and Lia. The story also is split into months, and lasts for almost a year. Viewing the four women's lives in their eyes, as well as their friend's eyes made the story that much better. I love feeling as if I'm the character, and I'm going through everything that they are. This book just wasn't about four women having babies, it has a much deeper meaning. Reading this book made me realize that friends become friends through commonalities, in this case, being pregnant and attending a yoga class. Some friendships last a life time, while others fall through the cracks, but it's the friends that are there for you at a phone calls notice. Those that can come over in their pjs and feel right at home, baby puke and all. They're the ones you can go to the park, restaurant, or coffee house with and share stories, positive or negative, and always be smiling anyways. No matter what happened to these women over the years, they stuck together and helped each other throughout everything. Opening this book will lead to a whirlwind of emotion, and a world in which we are all too familiar with. 


My Rating: 5 stars - must read!




"Bye and bye, bye and bye,
My darling baby, don't you cry.
The moon is still above the hill. 
The soft clouds gather in the sky."

No comments:

Post a Comment