Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sept. 11th - Day 5

I cannot believe it's been 9 years since the September 11th attack on the WWTC. 9 years since I was in 6th grade in my history class [yea, coincidence?] listening to the principal come into the room and tell us what had happened. Everything happened in such an instant that I had no idea what was going on at the time. I hadn't realized the immensity of this occurrence, these terroristic attacks on my country. As other kids in the school left, I stayed... later finding out that my mom hadn't wanted to take my brother and I out of school because she deemed it unnecessary. We hadn't known anyone personally working in NYC and she didn't want to make us more confused and scared. I remember sitting in my Home Economics class at the end of the day watching the T.V my teacher had put on, with maybe 5 other kids, watching the news describing what had happened that morning. It was terrifying to say the least. 


Now 9 years later, our country may not be as close-knit and united as we were in those following days, but we do all agree on one thing, we are so proud and thankful for all the troops out there who have been fighting for us since that day, and even before that. 


So I just want to say thank you to our armed forces out on the battle field. I am forever grateful. 



9.11.01 always remember, never forget.



So my three blessings today are...


1. Spending Time with My Daddy
     We went to the Meadowlands Flea Market this morning and while I bought a pie pan, he bought himself a fryer pan. Aren't we so cute? I'm the baker of the family & he's the cook! We love to buy recipe books and try new things so the whole family can try them out! I love spending time with him, because we hadn't spent much time together when I was younger, and this time together is really enjoyable. 


2. Meeting Someone New
     While at the flea market, my dad and I met two people who are trying to start their own bakery/treat shop. Meg and Chris were there selling their finest assortment of cupcakes, cookies, and whoopie pies from their store without a store front, Dough Heads. They were so friendly and kind. My father and I bought the Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Marshmallow Filling. They were absolutely delicious, although they did need a glass of milk. 
     Afterwards, we went home. Surprisingly enough, weeks earlier my dad had bought me a Whoopie Pie Recipe book, and just like that I was on my way to making Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Buttercream filling. I was so inspired by these two people at the flea market. They pretty much started with nothing; they don't even have their own storefront. If they can do it, so can I! If you'd like to see the recipe for the Whoopie Pie I made... click here. After I finished baking these & updating my other blog, I emailed Meg on her website, asking if I could be of any help in her kitchen once she got more established. Fingers Crossed.


3. Hearing People Compliment My Baking Skills
     Maybe it's just me, but I love when people love my baked goods. I always ask for the absolute truth, even though I may not like what people have to say, it will only make me a better baker in the end. Therefore, I learned to take criticism and make it constructive by working on my flaws, because you need to make mistakes in order to get better. However, today I got no complaints. About 8 people, including myself, tried my Whoopie Pies today, and everyone was absolutely in love with them! There was not one thing wrong with them. I was so happy, because I had never made them before and I tried extremely hard for them to be tasty. :]


Tomorrow I hope to get as much homework done as I can, since today was spent baking. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment